We are not currently hiring but always accepting resumes.
Memphis, Nashville or Remote (US Only)
We're looking for a full stack web developer. The ideal candidate should be either someone with proven senior-level experience or a driven junior-level developer with promising chops looking to grow.
Even if you don't 100% line up with these requirements, we still encourage you to apply. We’re more interested in someone with a deep understanding of the web stack and who has personal attributes like inquisitiveness and a good attitude than we are in someone with years of experience with a particular tech stack . Thoughtfulness can go a long ways towards compensating for missing skills in ways that being an expert in everything cannot compensate for thoughtlessness.
Here are the must-have's:
- You are equally comfortable with serverside and clientside development. You may be faster or more comfortable on one side of the stack, but you should be able to dive into a project or fix a bug on either side.
- Serverside experience/knowledge. We use C#/.NET primarily, so you should have strong experience with the .NET ecosystem or good familiarity and an eagerness to learn. If you are stronger on the frontend and lack the .NET serverside experience, we can still talk as long as you have experience working with multiple backend stacks (.NET, Python, Ruby, Node.js, PHP, etc) and an eager willingness to get up to speed wherever needed to help out.
VDOM is or why someone would use Webpack. If you have React experience that's bonus.
- Team Player Attitude - this sounds cliche, but we really mean it. Our team works extremely well with each other and with other teams in the company. There's no such thing as "that's not my job". We work hard together to ensure the success of everyone at Speak.
- You should be self-driven to learn new technologies and make recommendations for where we can use them to make our solutions more awesome.
- Regardless of your skill level you must be willing to roll up your sleeves and figure things out that you at first don't understand - whether it's learning a brand new API or fixing a problem with a crufty, old legacy app.
In this position, you'll be tasked with:
- Helping us to build, maintain and improve web applications that are used on both client and internal projects.
- Troubleshooting, diagnosing and fixing bugs and performance regressions in production systems.
- Identifying bottlenecks and places for improvement in existing code bases so we can continue to provide our customers with a better experience.
- Providing estimates for development timelines. We're not looking for clairvoyance, just the ability to provide a reasonable time estimate for a known set of requirements.
- Make us better by noticing what we're not doing but should be and then help make it happen.
- If working remotely, you'll need to be self-motivating, self-directing, a great communicator and comfortable working with a distributed team.
- Sometimes answering customer support requests and working with customers through resolution.
How we get things done
- We do all of our web development in C# with ASP.NET, MVC, Web API and ASP.NET Core.
- We use SQL Server as our datastore.
- We keep tabs on all of our code with Git.
- We host all our infrastructure in Azure.
- Our web services are REST-ful and JSON-based.
- We do a lot of mobile application development that interfaces with our backend web services. So, bonus points if you have experience with mobile development. If you can do both web iOS and Android we'd REALLY like to talk to you.
More about us...
- We are (and have been) profitable.
- We are (and have been) debt-free.
- We have a single owner and don't have to worry about partners who split.
- Our business is spread out across hundreds of customers instead of a few big fish.
- To date, we've never let anyone go for financial reasons.
- We're a team with a focus on doing outstanding work for our clients AND maintaining our sanity.
- We work hard during business hours (Mon-Thurs 7a-5p and Fridays 7a-11a…yes every Friday is a half-day) and go home when work is done.
- Rarely, if ever, do we find ourselves staying late or working weekends. Funny what you can get done when you work hard.
- High-performing employees enjoy a high degree of flexibility.
- We expect everyone on our team to be part of shaping our future. If there's an issue, we tackle it together. If there's an idea, we develop it together.
- We meet regularly for fun and creative team building.
- Half-day Fridays
- No late/weekend hours
- Relocation assistance
- All-Mac office
- Regular Office Events
- Annual Retreat with whole team on location
- Vacation/Sick Leave
- Health Insurance
- Short Term Disability
- Long Term Disability
- New Perks added often
Our owner is a believer in Jesus Christ and submits to Biblical authority in leading the company. For us, that means that we can expect a leadership perspective that is grounded in humility and puts people before profits. Does that mean we all have the same beliefs? Absolutely not, but mutual respect and grace are core values that drive each of us.
This is a unique position in our company and we are looking for a unique person to fill it. If you're a proven pro who is tired of...
- Having to say "Sorry buddy, I can't make it to your game today because I have a work deadline."
- Feeling like bot producing code
- Wondering if your work actually has a real effect on the company
- Constant pressure to work harder and harder, it's never enough
- Just get it done type demands from leadership
- Feeling like a cog in a machine where you have no real say in company direction
- Being a means to an end, rather than a valued team member
...and you value:
- Helping others succeed just as much as personal success
- Working collaboratively to figure out what will make the biggest impact for your team and our clients
- Your own personal work ethic and strive to always give more than you get
- A job well done
...you're potentially a really great fit here. From the top dog down, leadership at this company is committed to making it a great place for people to work while producing great results for our clients. If that sounds motivating and exciting, we want to talk to you.
What do you think? Sound like a fit? Next steps:
All candidates should complete our online application. Show us your work and explain why you're a good candidate.
We'll evaluate all applicants and follow up via email as needed to ask questions or to line up interviews.