It's 2022, so I'm pretty sure you know by now that in order to have a significant online presence, you need to have a blog.
The #1 reason business owners do not blog is the time-to-value ratio. We hear all the time “I'm not going to spend 3 or 4 hours writing a blog that no one will read.”
We get it, we really do and it’s the reason why marketing, research, and content strategy jobs are 3 of the top 10 fastest growing jobs, according to CNN.
At Speak, we don't approach copywriting from a silo where one person is responsible for a singular piece of content. Your content should have a purpose, a mission, and a job. When your content works for you in the form of site traffic and conversions, you have figured out SEO copywriting.
Why should you write copy with SEO in mind? What is SEO anyway? We'll dig in and answer those questions for you to shed some light on what makes content so important.
In this SEO writing blog, we'll talk about:
- SEO - Isn’t that magic?
- Copywriting - How to optimize your content
- Research - How to pick your content topics
- Digital Mixology - Making research, content, and SEO work together
What is SEO
SEO is the art of ranking a website and its individual pages highly on a search engine. But we can't give proper respect to the SEO industry by summarizing search engine optimization in less than 20 words, so here's a little more... the main purpose of SEO in the digital marketing lifecycle is to get pages to rank. What happens when those pages rank is what we as business leaders like to call “outcomes.” Our target outcome looks like this:
Rankings = Site Visits = Conversions = Revenue
Now there are a ton of things that can break inside that cycle, but that's for another day. If you're looking to gain a deeper breadth of knowledge on SEO, check out these 9 SEO Myths.
What Is Copywriting? - How to optimize your content writing strategy
Copywriting is the skillful use of words to compel action. There are numerous actions in the digital marketing world that can be useful to a business. Everything matters, from a click-through to another page all the way to online checkout. All points of contact in between from newsletter sign-ups to new business contact forms are essential to your digital presence.
The mistake we see with many business owners and companies is the failure to understand the importance of a skilled copywriter in key content planning and publishing roles. Copywriting is a creative role that requires someone who understands persona targeting. This person understands how to compel a specific target audience to take the desired action. Each element is carefully crafted, starting with the page title and moving to the heading tags and calls-to-action.
Your content needs to attract viewers and answer their questions. Create goodwill and authority with your content so that when your reader is ready to buy, they already feel comfortable with you and your product.
Jabs are the lightweight pieces of content that benefit your customers by making them laugh, snicker, ponder, play a game, feel appreciated, or escape; right hooks are calls to action that benefit your businesses. -Gary Vaynerchuk
How to research your SEO content
Just like a designer needs content to design, a copywriter needs research to write content. This is where some basic SEO knowledge can really help your content soar.
- Step 1: Research your topic and find the most often-searched words and phrases.
- Step 2: Integrate the most highly searched words and phrases into your content. START with the title but keep your word and phrase list close by and integrate them strategically!
- Step 3: Check your keyword density.
- Step 4: Optimize images and links with alt text.
- Step 5: Optimize your conversion process and test it.
Have your Research, Content, and SEO working together
The goal of SEO copywriting is to write content that will rank highly on search engines. We expect that you, or your copywriter, can write a nice article on the most highly searched terms in your industry. But a great article isn't guaranteed to rank on Google. So here's a step-by-step guide to mastering your SEO content.
- Step 1: Build your team - You need a copywriter, a research analyst, and an SEO Ninja. Our entire digital marketing team can perform in each of these roles but we all have our specialties and we work together to deliver the best results.
- Step 2: Write a content plan. This includes a sitemap and ongoing content strategy to support your pages.
- Step 3: Blog. Perfect your SEO writing skills with a blog that establishes your authority in your space.
- Step 4: Monitor your search engine results and analytics. Track your pages and their rankings to see if there is more you can do to push the pages higher and drive more traffic.
SEO Content Writing Conclusion:
I want to make the idea of SEO copywriting very simple for you, so just think of SEO writing as content. That’s it, CONTENT!
The content writing you do will become an internal linking goldmine for your website. Knowing how to link from a high valued blog to an internal landing page and have it drive organic traffic is also part of the SEO copywriting process.
You need content to do ANYTHING on the web. Ask a designer to build a landing page or ask a marketing director to mail a 3,000-piece direct mail campaign and they are both going to ask for, you guessed it... CONTENT.
You must have a content strategy in place and execute that strategy with sound research and SEO content writing. We would love to help you with your content writing strategy. Just drop us a line and tell us about your business so we can help you formulate your strategy and execution team.
Where to go from here